Friday, October 23, 2009

harmony


I’m about to get something permanently put on my body. I never thought I’d ever be sure enough of any one word, symbol or phrase that could hold my attention for the rest of my life. But, it’s time to take some chances. It’s time to struggle past the commitment issues and just do something about it. For the rest of my life, on my left wrist will be the word, “harmony.” It seems so simplistic, but yet it carries never-ending meaning.

I’m 20 years old and I’ve finally observed and reconciled one lesson of life: There is a delicate balance that is universally needed. It takes harmony to maintain happiness. You can only ride the ecstatic adrenaline for so long. And you can only be trapped by serotonin imbalances for so long. Yes- for every positive there must be a negative. But instead of observing those positives as extreme “highs” and those negatives as extreme “lows” I will see them as a working, mutualistic relationship. A harmonious interconnectedness. A beautiful thing.

I’ve also learned how harmony plays a role in relationships. Internal and external relationships are dependent on harmony. There will always be insecurities if you can’t find the appropriate balance, both with others and within yourself.

And last, but not least: Harmony in music. This is what seals the deal for me. Singing harmony is so natural for me. The harmony almost makes itself more appealing and obvious to me than the melody. I’d prefer to leave out the music terminology and theory when trying to explain to someone how to sing harmony, and just tell them to sing what feels right. Odds are, if they have any musical ear, a harmony will be created. It may be a harmony that I would never hear, or it could consist of the basic thirds and fifths that our ears are drawn to. But either way, it’s a powerful factor in the music. It molds the feeling. It creates the story. Harmony is what brings music alive for me. And often times, harmony is what connects me with the people I’m making music with.

Harmony.

I’ll attempt to live, breathe and create it for the rest of my life.

No comments: